Monday, February 4, 2013

It's a Brand New Day!

First day of my new life is in the books!

I feel pretty good. Certainly not hungry, thanks to big ol' salads for dinner and lunch. I am sure the variety will get better as I go along, and the 5 new cook books will be of use, as will be the website, www.marksdailyapple.com.

Started the day with my weigh in. After a weekend of over-indulgence that included spaghetti, (frozen) White Castle Cheeseburgers, chips, breaded chicken, cheese, soda, and quite possibly the best Starbucks Coffee ever, The Starbucks Doubleshot (1 pump Peppermint, 2 pumps Mocha, 2 pumps White Mocha, Cream, and 5 shots of Espresso served over ice) I topped the scale at 254. Not the heaviest I have ever been, but definitely, not a good look on my 5'8" frame.

Woke up this morning, got oldest boy started on school and then sat down and decided for some reason to start my taxes. No idea why, but by the time I realized it, it was time to go to work and I had not eaten breakfast or showered or anything. So breakfast was 12 oz of black coffee and a handful of raw green beans which I snacked on throughout the morning. Actually, it wasn't too bad. Maybe I was so carb-ed up from Sunday, that I was able to sustain? No idea, but it was OK.

Lunch was my usual salad with my new favorite dressing, a teaspoon of Lemon infused Olive Oil and Black Currant Infused Balsamic Vinegar with about 6 oz of turkey. I polished off the green beans, and the first of two 24 oz cups of water.

After work, I stopped off at World Market and picked up three dark chocolate candy bars (85%, 86%, and 90% Cacao). As a treat, I will be allowing myself 1 square a day after dinner unless I see it is causing problems. Started with the 90% tonight after my Taco Salad  (homemade taco seasoning, ground turkey, home made guac, salsa, and two drops of After Death Hot Sauce to help clear the sinuses, all over a bowl of mixed greens) and another 12 oz of water. Good dinner, even if everyone else had taco shells, cheese, and White Texas Sheet cake for dessert. 90% Cacao is definitely going to take some getting used to, as is the black coffee.

I even managed to get in 15 minutes of biking, 12 minutes of moderate speed, with three 1 minute sprint sessions mixed in. I imagined I was being chased by a saber tooth tiger for the sprints. Don't judge me! Thinking like a caveman!

Actually, I don't plan on taking the caveman thing too far, but as I read the Primal Blueprint, I find myself agreeing with the author. It's similar enough to the book Why We Get Fat, and What to Do About It that I feel comfortable with embarking on this. Primal is not written by a scientist, like Why We Get Fat is, but there is enough of an agreement between the two in terms of reasons to go no/limited carbs as a lifestyle change.

Tomorrow is the real test of will for me. My place of work always has high carb goodies around, and I work from the lounge there so it will be staring me right in the face all morning! Must...be...strong. I'll let you know tomorrow!

No comments: