Saturday, May 11, 2013

Where's the Beef?

Howdy, y'all! Welcome back!

Friday was a busy day. I spent the majority of the day working with my students on rehabilitating the garden. It's looking better, but not done. So far we have taken 18 large outdoor lawn and leaf bags of weeds, brush, branches, sticks, and trash out of there and you can hardly tell. At this point, we have 3 more classes together to finish the project. I can confidently say that it will not be done by the end of the year! I only see them 2 days a week for about 2 hours each session. So much more to do that there is just no way we can do it all. I bit off more than I could chew with this school.

The other schools are progressing nicely, although I haven't been to most of them in 2 weeks, so it should be interesting. Next week we start adding plants and birdhouses at all 4. Hopefully it goes smoothly!

After school I met up with our friend Heidi, who hooked us up with 150 pounds of grass fed, locally raised beef. I really had no idea what to expect so it was kind of like Christmas morning when I got it picked up and brought home! I laid it all out on the counter to inventory what was there.


Top Down view


Side view


It all fit in the freezer! Woot!

All in all I was pleased with the variety, though next time I might ask about certain cuts to see if requests are possible. Lots of ground beef, lots of steaks, a couple roasts, and some organ meat that I will most likely serve up to the dog. I know the Primal Blueprint has recipes for organ meat, but I am so not up for that. That just doesn't appeal to me at all. Plus, I know no one else in the family will even think about eating it! Soup bones are also there, so that's awesome! Good old beef broth!

On the egg front, we are still buying organic eggs at Costco since our little girls are still a few months out from laying. They are getting big and scruffy looking though. Below are pictures I took at the start of the week.


All six girls!


Mary and Goldy.

And here they are at the end of the week.

(Clockwise from upper left) Buffy, Midnight, Frittata, Mary, Mara, and Goldy 


Goldy, front and center


Mara looking at the camera


Their favorite corner!


Walls are interesting!


Mary looking at the camera


Midnight


Mara


Huddle up, girls!

Yesterday was the last day of Teacher Appreciation Week, so more goodies from the kids. I avoided eating any of it, although I appreciate the gesture. I just can't be around that kind of stuff. Way too tempting. I've already said the cravings don't go away, so I won't belabor the point. Needless to say, the other teachers appreciated the goodies as well!

Dinner last night was steak with onions and mushrooms. Malia and I both agree that onions and mushrooms caramelized in butter pretty much make the steak dinner even better. When we were younger, I don't think we would have liked it as much.

Caught up with some TV last night. Just a few episodes to watch, Big Bang, New Girl, and 1.5 episodes of Warehouse 13. Naturally I fell asleep through the last episode of Warehouse 13. Saw most of it, I think. Hopefully, since I deleted it. Nothing against the show, more about me.

One of the shows I enjoy watching is Community, which is still pretty funny and excitingly enough, has been renewed for a 5th season. Just one more and a movie to go!

So, the big question. How's the weight loss going? Well, this morning the scale reads 220.8 lbs. That's a total of 33.2 pounds since February 4th. Pretty cool. That's also a total of 39.2 pounds since maximum density last year. Feeling so much better about myself.


Food Diary for Thursday the 2nd of May:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, fried in bacon grease
                2 slices of Canadian Bacon
                10 oz of Coffee with Kal Stevia Sweetener

AM Snack: Nada
                 
Lunch: 2 sugar free, 100% grass fed Beef Organic Hot Dogs
           Big Ol' Salad w/ Balsamic Vinaigrette

PM Snack: 10 Macadamia Nuts
                  4 squares of Ghirardelli 88% Cacao Bar 

Dinner:  Tri-Tip Steak w/Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms

Water: About 70 oz

Sleep: about 7 hours of sleep




No comments: