Thursday, May 9, 2013

It's Been One Week...

since I last blogged.

Crazy week. Between Malia's back still hurting, me being gone for three days, and then having to jump back in to getting the house back in order, I've not had time to sit down and write. House is slowly getting there, as is Malia. Getting the boys on track is always an uphill struggle.

So, with new tunes playing in my ears, I'll fill in the blanks.

My colleagues and I put together our curriculum for next year. I'm pretty happy with what we put together. I'm looking forward to finishing it up and then moving on to wrapping up this year!

Speaking of wrapping up this year, the final projects should be done in the next 2 weeks. With kids being absent, me being absent, testing, more testing, and days off, some classes are going to have more time than others. I can't control that, but it is a bit frustrating.

The weekend came and went with me doing stuff around the house and taking care of Malia. I've given up on doing Intermittent Fasting for the past month. Sundays were a great time to do that, but now it's just impossible. Oldest boy is really getting into cooking and, of course, he makes desserts. Last weekend was banana bread. This recipe is so good! I tried to avoid it, but no dice. I think I ate at least half of one of the three loaves. Sigh...That was on top of Saturday's ditching the diet altogether. I started off with a Venti Cookie Crumble Frappucino (my Starbucks birthday present) after breakfast, a giant slice of pepperoni pizza for lunch, and a Milky Way Dark candy bar for afternoon snack. It wasn't pretty, but it had to be done. I was starting to crack, so better to open up the flood gate myself instead of waiting for the dam to burst. I knew I was going to get it under control come Monday.

Monday I was at this place with about 140 kids. Grizzly Creek Ranch. It's a great facility. I went there last year for one day, so going for 3 days was going to be great. And it was! I had a really good time. One of the best parts was getting to hang out with some of my colleagues in a really relaxing environment. There were a few bumps in the road, but I think we all handled things really well.

The facility itself is gorgeous. I could sit here all winter long:


And here throughout the summer:

Because I was one of the rovers, I didn't have a cabin group or a trail group, so I just floated back and forth between the three cabins I was closest to and helped out where needed, and picked a trail group to follow, but wandered to others as more rovers came around. I had my own dorm room in the activity center, so no kids to worry about at night, which was pretty cool.

My dorm is the one on the far right. There is a room off to the right of the entrance with a bunk bed and a chest of drawers. Perfect accommodations for one person.

As part of my job, I had to monitor the showers and the field (where the picture above was taken), but the kids were pretty darn good, so it wasn't a big deal for someone with 20 years teaching experience.

I got to talk hockey with another Penguins fan while there, so that was pretty cool. Don't know many hockey fans, so it was fun to talk about the game with him. I had the game on my phone for awhile before it died, and then it was just following the score via ESPN. Too bad they lost that game, but they looked good tonight. But I digress.

The food was really good. I actually had some good choices so I wasn't eating Primal Pacs for every meal. We brought our own lunches for the first day, so it was a large Primal Pac for me. Dinner the first night was lasagna, garlic bread and salad. I skipped the lasagna and bread, and just had a big old salad and a small Primal Pac. It did the trick. Breakfast the next morning was bacon and eggs. Lunch was a small Primal Pac and two lettuce wrap sandwiches (one turkey, one ham). Dinner was roasted chicken and salad. Breakfast was bacon and eggs again. Lunch was sandwiches again, so I had a large Primal Pac on the road back to Reno.

The Primal Packs really did the trick. 100% organic and very Paleo. Each pack includes a good portion of beef jerky, a few large hunks of dried mango, a handful of cranberries, raw macadamias and raw almonds. They are pretty darn good, and I didn't feel hungry at all during those three days. I really think I could have those be the main part of my diet and it would be okay. It did get a bit boring, but I could live on those and salads if I had to. I actually took one for lunch today because there wasn't anything readily available. Could I live on them for a week? Well, Boy Scout camp is coming up in July, so I think I might buy a bunch more to take with me for that week.

The best thing about being away from home those days was I didn't have the cravings I get at home. Even the lasagna and bread and desserts each night didn't draw me in. I avoided them all. As soon as I got home though? Sigh...

Today one of my students gave me a teacher appreciation gift: a mini white chocolate bundt cake. I avoided eating it for about two minutes, and then I could tell she was disappointed that I didn't have any of it, so I took a bite. Well, that one bite turned in to two. Then to three. About 8 bites later, it was all gone. I thought it might make my stomach ache, and it did for about 3 minutes. After that, I was fine.

So, how is the weight loss going you might be asking? Well, I left on Monday morning weighing in at 224.8 lbs. When I weighed myself this morning, I was down to 221.6 lbs. So, a little more than 3 pounds.

One thing I am finding out by being back home is I fall into stress and boredom eating habits. Gotta find a way to stop that.

So, overall, a success. Tomorrow I'm sure to be back over 222 lbs, but that bundt cake was worth it!

Food Diary for Wednesday the 1st of May:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, fried in bacon grease
                2 slices of Canadian Bacon
                10 oz of Coffee with Kal Stevia Sweetener

AM Snack: nothing
                 
Lunch: Large Primal Pac

PM Snack: 1 mini white chocolate bundt cake
                  10 macadamias

Dinner:  Roasted chicken seasoned with sea salt, black pepper, sage, and garlic
             Roasted Garlic
             Kale, Macadamia, and Pomegranate Salad 

Water: About 70 oz

Sleep: about 6 hours of sleep

Exercise: Walking around




No comments: