Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Turn on the TV!

Howdy, ya'll! Hopefully you had a great Tuesday!

Today I'll look at my Top 10 TV Shows. This is a tough one. I enjoy television. I'm not addicted by any means, but I do enjoy watching. I've watched some good TV shows and some bad ones. Many of my favorites are still on the air, which is good. I have weird tastes, which you may have noticed already. And, once again, since it's my list, I get to make the rules, so this Top 10 is another Top 11!

11) Lost


I was a late comer to this show. We watched Seasons 1-5 during the months before Season 6 came on. I was immediately enthralled. What the heck happened? What was going on? Who is that guy? When will we get some answers? Sadly, I was disappointed by the series finale. I felt it was a cheap way out. "And we were dead the whole time!" Sigh...weak.

10) Community


This show is hilarious! I'm less impressed with this season than past seasons, but it's still pretty good. NBC's decision to hold the entire series until the late winter was odd. Their Halloween episode ran on Valentine's Day. Very odd choice on their part. The characters on this show are a lot of fun. I really like Abed and Annie.

9) New Girl


It's Zooey Deschannel. Seriously? How could I not love this show.

8) Archer

Oh my. This show is a killer. I laugh so hard every time I watch it. It's totally inappropriate, but holy cow is it funny. Archer is the ultimate spy, working for an intelligence agency called ISIS, which is run by his mother. His fellow agents are his ex, her current boyfriend, and a former Olympic skiing bronze medalist. The show is funny, but not for children at all. It's the biggest guilty pleasure on my list. 

7) Babylon 5

Epic. Grand scale. Amazing. That's just a few words to describe this show. The first season was a bit painful to get through, mostly because of Commander Sinclair who ran the station. Thankfully he left and along came Captain Sheridan. I found this show to be better than just about any episode of any Star Trek show, which is saying a lot. The show had moments that were funny, sad, action packed, tragic, and romantic. The themes of loss, sacrifice, and redemption are woven throughout to tell a really compelling story. It's a show you have to watch from start to finish to really appreciate. The spin off movies were hit and miss. The spin off shows were only okay.  

6) The Big Bang Theory

I attempted to watch the first episode of this show when it first aired. For some reason, I just couldn't watch it. It wasn't until a few years later that I got in to it. I know some people think it stereotypes people who are scientists or women, but I disagree. It's a funny show with smart people who are also nerdy. Not all nerds are smart, and not all smart people are nerds. It's a slice of life. I, like most nerdy guys, like to think of myself as Leonard, the "cool" nerd who gets the hot girls. I know I got my hot girl, so it must be true for me!

5) Doctor Who


Not much more to say about this show that I haven't said already. Good show. The new season is really good so far.

4) Burn Notice


I'll admit it. The only reason I watch this show is Bruce Campbell. The man is awesome. I really think he is one of the best actors working today. He gets pigeonholed and I think he's finally come to grips with that. He can play serious roles. He can play comedic roles. He's an action hero, a clown, a tough guy, and the sensitive man, all at the same time. The show itself has become a bit formulaic, so we shall see what the new season brings. Hopefully they break out of the formula and do some different things, but I am not holding my breath.

3) Firefly

What nerd would leave this much maligned, much loved show off of his list? This was my first introduction to Joss Whedon, and I was hooked from the first minute all the way through the final scene. Sadly, it was never given a real chance to work, and Fox cancelled it before it could really get going. I think it could have rivaled Babylon 5 in story, and Star Trek in depth. Too bad. It's a fun show. The movie was a bit tough to watch though. Poor Wash. Poor Book.

2) Adventures of Brisco County, Jr


Speaking of shows Fox cancelled before they had a chance...Bruce Campbell stars as Brisco County, Jr in this tongue in cheek western, sci-fi show. I really loved this show. Also only given one season  by Fox, the show bounced around from time slot to time slot, making it difficult for it to find it's niche. Too bad. It was a lot of fun.

1) Mystery Science Theater 3000

This was a great show. It lasted for 10 years. I have sat through every available episode, except the ones that were only broadcast on the local TV channel before it was picked up nationally. The premise of the show, for those who don't know is this: A man is sent into space to watch bad movies by scientists who monitor his mind to see how much he can take. He decides to make life more bearable by creating some robots to keep him company and help make fun of the movies. At least, that's where it starts. Throughout the years, the plot changes, but the movies stay bad and the jokes stay funny. If you are looking for a good laugh, I recommend picking watching their take on either Invasion of the Neptune Men or Prince of Space. Hilarious stuff! You can catch the folks behind this show, still plying their trade at both Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic.

So, that's my Top 11. I know, I know. It's a weird list. What say you, o' faithful readers?

Weight was still at 230.2 lbs today. Plateauing right now. Body is probably still recovering from the Disneyland food (corn dogs, ice cream, hot chocolate, potatoes, bread, whipped cream, etc...). Not going in to panic mode yet. This weekend will be tough as well since I am going to be camping with a bunch of Scout Leaders, and I will be eating whatever they serve. Hard to make other people change what they are cooking for me just because I am trying to lose weight. If it were an allergy, that would be different.

Food Diary for Tuesday the 16th of April:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, fried in Kerrygold Butter
                2 Beef Breakfast Sliders
                10 oz of Coffee with Kal Stevia Sweetener and Trader Joe's Organic Heavy Cream

AM Snack: 10 Green Beans
                 
Lunch:  Big Ol' Salad w/balsamic and olive oil

PM Snack: 1 slice of Canadian Bacon
                  2 cookies Malia made 

Dinner:  1 fillet of Tilapia, fried in Coconut Oil
             Big ol Salad with Balsamic and Olive Oil
             10 Macadamia Nuts
             2 Squares of Lindt 88% Cacao

Water: About 80 oz

Sleep: about 9 hours of sleep

Exercise: Normal Walking around
              Abs Diet Monday Original Workout

Tomorrow it's my favorite music. This should be fun!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of bun notice until my mom stayed here with me in January. Now, I've only watched one episode, but I seriously couldn't stand guy!!!! I kept thinking o Napoleon Dynamite which I'm sure had to do with his teeth and I thought his acting was horrible! Too funny...just goes to show how differently people perceive things! Now that I've read your review I might just have to give t another try :)