Thursday, April 18, 2013

Read a Good Book Lately?

By now you know the drill. My Top 10 books. Again, I'm not going for best literature, although some of these books would qualify. These are the books I really liked when growing up or really like now. Comments here or on the Facebook page if you are feeling so inclined.

10) X-Wing Rogue Squadron Series

The X-Wing Rogue Squadron series picks up after the movies and focuses on a group of X-Wing pilots and their missions throughout the galaxy to defeat the remnants of the Empire. The writing wasn't always the best, but it was a fun look at what happened after the death of the Emperor and the rise of the New Republic.

9) Harry Potter

I liked the Harry Potter series pretty much all the way through. The last book was okay, though I thought there was to much "What do you want to do? I don't know, what do you want to do?" I like how she wrapped the series up. Some of the deaths along the way were a little tough, but they usually made sense within the context of the story. Well worth the read, and definitely not a children's only book by the end. 

8) Battlefield Earth

Interesting man, L. Ron Hubbard. He wrote some amazing sci-fi, including Battlefield Earth. The story of Johnnie Goodboy Tyler and his attempt to unite the remaining humans against their evil overlords, the Psychlos. I honestly don't remember much about this book except that it was HUGE, my neighbor's mom warned me to be careful reading it because it was written by a "religious nut", and one day while reading it on  the long bus ride home, a girl (Chandra Rucker. OMG, why did I suddenly remember that? Doubt I spelled her name right, but still...) wrote on one of the pages. I remember being really into this book, and since it was such a long book, over 1000 pages, it took a long time to read. I doubt I would find this as interesting now as I did then, but who knows. All I know is that Neil Gaiman liked it, as did Frederik Pohl, and Kevin J. Anderson. But then again Mitt Romney lists it as his favorite book, so... 

7) Dark Tower Series

My dad was a HUGE Stephen King fan. I can't remember if he liked this series or not. Something is telling me he didn't, but I loved it and the only other King novel I read was Dragon Eyes, which I know dad didn't like. I liked the main character, Roland. I liked the story of his travel to the Tower and his quest to save what's left of himself and the world. He comes across many interesting characters along the way who help form his "family." Well worth the read.

6) American Gods

American Gods is a great story. I was familiar with Neil's comic book work before I read any of his novels. I really liked his take on American Society and what we worship as compared to the Old Gods. It's a really interesting look at America and how we deal with culture. The main character's journey through the book is really interesting and the way he handles himself among the gods is quite interesting.

5) Icewind Dale Trilogy

R.A. Salvatore's Dungeon and Dragons masterpiece. This is our first introduction to the world of Drizzt Do'Urden, a dark elf ranger banished from his underground homeland. Drizzt joins forces with the barbarian Wulfgar, the halfling Regis, the dwarf Bruenor, and the human Catti-Brie to save each other, their homes, and at various times, their entire civilization! This series starts in this trilogy, and continues to this day with several books added to the story. I've read many of them, but the last book I bought had such tiny print that I kept getting headaches trying to read it and had to stop.

4) Sword of Shanara

Another book I read in middle school and has followed me into adulthood, the story of the Shannara books started with a simple tale similar to most of the other books I had started reading, swords, sorcery, and fantastic imaginary races (elves, dwarves, etc...). The twist here was that somethings didn't belong. There was mention of a "Great War" that destroyed society and allowed the world to eventually re-start, with the return of the lost races. It wasn't until years later that Terry Brooks began to put all of this into play. While he continued telling the future world of the Shannara Clan, he began a series of books called The Word and the Void, which then lead into The Genesis of Shannara, and finally the Legends of Shannara. I really got caught up in this series a few summers ago and read all the Word and the Void, Genesis and Legends books within a 2 month period. His stories were somewhat formulaic, we met the hero who doesn't know what's going on in the world, the hero finds out and must flee the safety of home, hero meets people who help piece together the problem, hero struggles against all odds to defeat the villain. I liked The Genesis of Shannara books quite a bit, because they looked at the post-apocalypse world and how the Shannara series began. It's a great read if you've never read them, just be prepared for a lot of characters and a really long story!

3) Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn

Tad Williams takes a great take on the traditional hero from nothing character. Again, a story I began reading  as a teen. I really liked this series at the time and it just got better as it went on. It's well worth the read and I imagine some day I will re-read them again. Simon is a great character who really grows throughout the series and becomes someone you really enjoy reading about.

2) The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings

I've discussed my love for this series before. Well worth the read if you haven't read it yet.

1) The Kingkiller Chronicle

Best books ever. I can't recommend this series enough. I am so anxious for the third book in the series to come out. I know he is working on it, and who am I to rush genius? That being said, sooner would be better than later!The book is divided into two different time periods, the past (which is what most of the book is about), and the present. The main character, Kvothe (Kv + (Quothe -Qu) = Kvothe), tells the story of his life. I really don't want to ruin any aspect of the story, so, if you are looking for some good summer reading, go out and grab these books. You will not be disappointed.

Weight was up 0.2 lbs to 228.8 today. Hoping to get back to 225 by the end of next week. Weight loss has really slowed down now. Going to have to find some way to get back into that 2 pounds a week grove.

Food Diary for Thursday the 18th of April:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, fried in Kerrygold Butter
                2 slices of Canadian Bacon
                10 oz of Coffee with Kal Stevia Sweetener and Trader Joe's Organic Heavy Cream

AM Snack: Nothing
                 
Lunch:  Big Ol' Salad w/balsamic and olive oil
            Bacon Meatloaf

PM Snack: Nothing

Dinner:  Beef Round Roast
             Big ol Salad with Balsamic and Olive Oil
             10 Macadamia Nuts
             2 Squares of Lindt 88% Cacao

Water: About 80 oz

Sleep: about 6 hours of sleep

Exercise: Normal Walking around

No blog tomorrow as I will be AFK until Saturday PM. Hope you all have something else to keep you entertained for a Friday night!



No comments: