Monday, April 15, 2013

Movie Time

Hey and welcome back!

So, someone gave me a plus on Google+, so I've had an influx of readers! Woot! Thanks to whomever that was,  I'm now getting almost 40 or so readers per post! And one day I had about 100 pageviews! LOL! Look out Internet! I'm comin' for ya!

...

Anyway...

Who doesn't like movies? A few hours of escape into a fantasy world, or a thriller, or another time is just what the doctor ordered every now and again. Me? My interests lie in the Sci-Fi and Fantasy realms. Give me a good super-hero, sword and sorcery, or spaceship flick, and I am a happy guy! In honor of that idea, today is my first Top 10 list. My favorite movies. I'm not saying the Top 10 Best Movies of All Time, I'm saying my favorites. The ones I turn to when I want to escape and shut the world out. And since It's my list, I get to make the rules, so I'm making it a Top 11 list! Lets start with...

11) The Trouble with Harry

Okay, this one takes some explaining. This is probably the strangest movie on my list and definitely one of those "one of these things is not like the other" kind of things. This movie has a special place in my memory though. Back in the late 80's a local radio station was giving away movie passes to an Alfred Hitchcock Marathon. I won a pair of passes and my dad took me to see them. I don't remember all of them, but this sticks out, because Jerry Mather plays Shirley McLaine's son. It's a really funny movie in that demented and twisted Hitchcockian way! If you've not seen it, the basic plot involves a small town in New England and the trouble with a man named Harry. The trouble is, Harry is dead and many people think they are the cause. Morbid hilarity ensues as Harry is buried, unburied, buried again, and onward and so forth and the like. I know it's a bit dry for some people's tastes, but I love it! 

10) The Avengers

Last year's blockbuster hit. I liked this movie because it brought together some really cool heroes in some really cool action scenes. I wasn't impressed by the alien invaders, but I liked the idea of Loki teaming with them. I can't wait to see the next installment in this series. Joss Whedon has done some great things (as I will attest to later in the week), and this is one of them.

9) Batman Begins

Batman is one of my favorite super-heroes (again, more later in the week), and this is one of the best Batman movies ever. I like Christian Bale as Batman. I like his take on both Bruce and Batman. Morgan Freeman plays a great Lucius Fox, and Michael Cain as Alfred is a great choice. The twist with the villain is also a nice one. I have to say, I didn't like the second movie in this trilogy. The Joker was too disturbing for my tastes. And...I haven't watched the third installment yet.

8) Mom and Dad Save the World

Ok, this is just an incredibly silly movie. Look at who is in it and you can tell it going to be just fun. It's bad. It's so bad, it's good. Teri Garr, Jeffrey Jones, John Lovitz, and Eric Idle? Come on! What's not to love?!?!

7) Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Ok, I've shared my love for this movie already, so it shouldn't be a surprise. It's not the best movie, but it does have Zooey in it, so that counts for a lot. Martin Freeman is great as Arthur Dent. The star of the movie though is Allan Rickman as Marvin the Paranoid Android. Fun from start to finish.

6) Scott Pilgrim vs the World

This was a sleeper hit for me. It was nowhere near my radar when it came out. My good friend John took me to see this along with The Expendables. I knew what I was in for with The Expendables, but I was blown away by Scott Pilgrim. I thought it was just another slacker movie, until the first fight scene. From there I was totally in love with the movie and Ramona Flowers, too. It's a great movie that has a lot going for it.

5) Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Okay, no explanation needed for this. It's Python. It's the Grail. It's a movie you have to love. I haven't seen it in awhile, but it's one I think I can still quote by heart. I love how it just sort of...ends. No resolution, just an ending. Too funny! 

4) Big Trouble in Little China

Ah...Jack Burton. Another great movie from the 80's. Kurt Russell plays the ultimate guy's guy. Beer drinking, truck driving, butt kicking, monster slayer, girl saving, baddest man on the planet (at least in his own mind). Some classic one-liners are thrown around in this one. It's another one I haven't watched in awhile, but definitely worth it.

3) The Princess Bride

Mawwage. Mawwage is what bwings us togeveh today. That dweam wifin a dweam. OMG! Funniest movie on the list. I could watch this on a loop and be totally happy! So many funny things in this, it's hard to pick out one. (Except I already did, so...) Anyway, this should be required viewing for anyone who wants a good laugh and a fun time.

2)Star Wars (Original Trilogy)

Original Trilogy is the best. I know there is not much danger in saying that. This classic sci-fi movie series is the gold standard for all sci-fi movies to me. There is action, intrigue, romance, surprises, fighting, humor, space ships, explosions (in space!), and strange creatures. The story of the little guy rising through the ranks to be one of the greatest heroes of all time is the dream any kid of the 70's wanted to emulate. I wanted to be Luke Skywalker. I wanted to face evil and fight monsters and save the day! It's a thrilling adventure from start to finish. The dialogue was cheesy at times, but hey, it's an action movie! I'm kind of excited to see what Disney will do with the next trilogy. It can't be worse than the second trilogy. 

1) Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Ah...the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. This is the classic little guy saving the world story. Seriously. Frodo was a Hobbit, not even 4 feet tall! This series was just amazing. I was so glad that Peter Jackson did such an amazing job with this story. I've not watched them in a year or so, but one day I will sit down and watch all three (extended cuts, no less) back to back to back. Over 11 hours of cinema magic. Just an amazing experience. Some people have bagged on The Hobbit, but I liked it. It's not the same type of story as The Lord of the Rings, but it's a great one in it's own right. I didn't put that one on my Top 11 list because I am waiting to see how the other two turn out. Should be a fun wait.

So there ya go, Top 11 Favorite Movies. What are yours? Post here or on my Facebook page.

Weigh in today was 230.2 lbs. Not much movement, but that's to be expected. 15 pounds heavier than I thought I would be by now, so that's frustrating. Not sure that 200 by June 11th is going to happen. Sigh...

Food Diary for Monday the 15th of April:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, fried in Kerrygold Butter (OMG! So good! This is a great butter)
                2 slices of Canadian Bacon
                10 oz of Coffee with Kal Stevia Sweetener and Trader Joe's Organic Heavy Cream

AM Snack: 10 Green Beans
                 
Lunch:  1 serving of Primal Stir Fry

PM Snack: 2 slices of Canadian Bacon
                  3 cookies Malia made 

Dinner:  1 fillet of Tilapia, fried in Coconut Oil
             Big ol Salad with Balsamic and Olive Oil
             15 Macadamia Nuts
             2 Squares of Lindt 88% Cacao

Water: About 80 oz

Sleep: about 9 hours of sleep

Exercise: Normal Walking around.

Thanks for stopping by! Tune in tomorrow when I list my Top 10 TV Shows!



No comments: