Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Who Needs Sleep?

Sleep is overrated anyway.

April 27th is a bittersweet day for me. It's the day before my birthday which is cool, but 3 years ago my dad passed away from smoking. It's been a tough thing to deal with ever since he left. I'm sad he is gone, angry that he couldn't stop smoking and left us, and happy that he is no longer in pain.

A day doesn't go by that I don't think of him. I hear him in my head or see someone who reminds me of him. I think about all the things he will miss. Me getting my Masters Degree. My boys growing up. Their graduations. Their weddings. And on and on.

Don't get me wrong, he was not a saint by any stretch of the imagination! He didn't always have a lot of patience with me, but hey, he's my dad and I loved him all the same.

Blech. It's a tough day to be sure.

As I finish this up, it is now April 28th. I am now 40 years old. I think about how much has changed in my life and wonder what it would be like to share those things with my dad.

I emailed mom earlier to let her know I was thinking about her. I don't see her or talk to her enough these days.

Sleep? Bah. The alarm goes off in 5 hours anyway. Maybe a few laughs with some MST3K will do the trick. Time to turn on the TV and turn off the computer for the night.